Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question

Subject: Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 12:24:48 -0700

Megan Golding wrote:

On the other hand, the developers at my previous job wrote a proprietary
software application. Those guys were just as dedicated to the product,
but it wasn't their hobby.

True. But even proprietary developers are likely to have an interest in coding outside the job. By contrast, not many tech-writers are interested in writing technical documentation outside of work. Most free software projects have immense trouble finding writers.

For me, a dream job is writing about something I find
interesting....which would elicit a "Very" response from me.

Maybe instead of commenting on the negative, I should take comfort from the fact that one in six apparently have a dream job. That means that the odds of finding a dream job might be against you, but staggeringly so.

"Wherever we go, we celebrate
The land that makes us refugees."
-The Pogues, "Thousands Are Sailing"