RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question

Subject: RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question
From: Jim Shaeffer <jims -at- spsi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 10:13:43 -0400

Coders and writers are both the manipulating symbols
to communicate.
Coders and writers can be fascinated and fulfilled by
symbol manipulation that results in successful
communication without really caring about the content
of that communication.
As I might have written in a college course, "The
universe of discourse is not the discourse."
In my case, we produce sales automation software
targeted at an industry that would not interest me
if my job did not depend upon it.
Neither the coders nor I are salespeople. And the
software we sell is inappropriate for use by our own
sales and marketing staff.
Fortunately, the management of the company is
experienced in and passionate about the target
industry.

Jim Shaeffer (jims -at- spsi -dot- com)