RE: Question about eLance

Subject: RE: Question about eLance
From: Diane Evans <DianeE -at- LOCKSTREAM -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 08:41:01 -0700

Roy said: Part of it has to do with what the people using the phrase
"technical
writer" mean by it. In the cases mentioned, they likely think a
techwriter is little more than a typist with a technical vocabulary, or
a "document-prettier-upper".

I just ran into this problem yesterday. I am in the midst of changing from
contract to permanent with my company. They wanted to give me a pay CUT and
add stock in return. (Right now, the stock and $1 will buy me....)

When I asked why I wasn't worth more than that, I was told that I was just
the technical writer, which doesn't require nearly the skill and knowledge
that their prima donna "developers" do. After all, anyone can learn to
type...

Moral of the story: I took a $1 an hour cut in pay, but they will pay full
medical benefits starting tomorrow. Since my husband is disabled and
medically unstable, this was well worth the trade-off.

Diane Evans
Information Developer
Lockstream