Re: Software solution

Subject: Re: Software solution
From: Sandy Harris <sandy -at- storm -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 16:29:19 -0400

Lois Patterson wrote:

> > I'm looking for a program that will give me a list of all of the English
> > words that can be spelled using the letters a - g.

On any Unix:

grep -v '[h-z][H-Z]' /usr/dict/words

grep is a text pattern search.
-v means print all lines not containing the pattern
the pattern '[h-z][H-Z]' matches any line with one or more
characters between h and z; these are not printed
/usr/dict/words is an English dictionary

It never ceases to amaze me that people actually use computer systems that
lack basic tools like 'grep'. These were already standard on Unix when I
learned it in the early 80s.

To add such tools to Windows, free, try:
http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/uwin/
http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/