RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question

Subject: RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question
From: edunn -at- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 17:22:37 -0400

>>I understand not everyone is so lucky as to find a job they really love, but
>>like Bruce, I don't get all the unhappiness and non-interest in tech-writing
>>topics by tech writers.

I often think I'm repeating myself for no reason but...

Why equate non-interest with unhapiness? Or even non-interest with bad
teachwriting? Let's be clear here, we're talking about one very large pond here
and ther's room for all the fish and for them to be happy too.

In the case of the poll you can't even be very interested but only at work. Why
is it so bad to enjoy one thing at work and another at home?

On a list of this size you have to open minded enough to realise there are a lot
of niches to fill. There are those here where I work that have no interest in
trains. Does that make them bad techwriters or unhappy people? No. They are
involved with subsystems that interest them or they are involved with the
interactive manual effort or documenting software for test equipment.

I'm extremely interested in trains, but outside of work I am unlikely to pursue
how competitors assemble their propulsion systems or how those propulsion
systems work. Outside work, trains are just one of a myriad of interests.

Now if one of the poll answers was "Not interested at all, hate it and only
doing it for the money.", those are the people I'd feel sorry for.

Eric L. Dunn