Re: Technical Specifications

Subject: Re: Technical Specifications
From: Sandy Harris <sandy -at- storm -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2001 22:24:41 -0400

bobzumar -at- hotmail -dot- com wrote:

> I know there is always concern over asking for documents, but I was hoping
> someone could give me some direction on writing technical specifications.
>
> If anyone has any resources or advice, I would greatly appreciate you
> sharing.

One thing to look at is books on development methodologies.

The classic "The Mythical Man-Month" is worth reading for anyone who deals
with either project management or software development. There are sections
on specifications, and on architecture vs. implementation, that would be
relevant to what you're asking.

The type of specification your company wants will depend heavily on the
style of development they are doing. Ask your development managers for
books on the process, or perhaps to send you on training courses.

Often there are several different types of spec. In some methodologies,
a functional spec says what the product must do, and how that can be
tested. Developers are never allowed to write functional specs; they
can only write a design document that says how they will meet the
functional spec. They are also forbidden to do the testing of whether
their design actually meets the spec.

Other methodolgies break the problem up differently. Methinks you need
to discover more about whatever methodology your shop uses.