Re: More responsibilities, but no more $

Subject: Re: More responsibilities, but no more $
From: quills -at- airmail -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 14:21:21 -0500

When I joined my last company in 1990, I was supposed to document thier products, and also build a technical publications department. my hiring was with the understanding that I would eventually be considered for the management position of this department. After 10 years, my boss flatly refused to create a department. I started looking for a new job. After the company was sold, it became extremely apparent that none of the promises that I had been given at hiring were going to even be considered.

I left for a new position.

Yeah, companies have other requierments than satifiying their employees. When they don't honor their promises, leave.

You will not be alone. Lots of middle and senior level managment find themselves in the same boat. When they can't get satisfaction, they leave. You are no different.

If you feel that you are not being treated fairly, and the company will not make an effort to satisfy you, and especially if they are not willing to explain why they cannot meet their promises, leaving is the only route open for you. Staying will only create more problems for you.

This is just business. You owe the company exactly what they have given you. If you get no loyalty from the company, they cannot demand loyalty from you.

And it will cost them more to hire someone in to do your job. Training, lost productivity, etc. adds up. Pity that most management is myopic.

Scott

A landmark hotel, one of America's most beautiful cities, and three and a half days of immersion in the state of the art: