Re: Free Lancing - DIFFERENT QUESTION

Subject: Re: Free Lancing - DIFFERENT QUESTION
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2001 11:41:50 -0700

Parker, Cassandra M. wrote:

Concerning free lance writing, how would a writer get in
this line of work, word of mouth?

The same way that you get any job: you talk to companies until one hires you. The only difference is that you do it more often than when you have a full-time position. That means you have to be organized and persistent, and have your job-hunting skills well honed.

If you can consistently deliver acceptable work on time, you'll get a reputation - and some references - that will help you to work steadily.

I've obtained all my positions through agencies but may want to work from
home independently.

Don't count on it, especially at the start. Consultants are probably more likely to work at home then regular employees, but many companies like consultants to work in their offices. My work in the last six and a half years has been almost equally divided between in-office and telecommuting, which seems somewhat better than average, so far as I can tell.

"The fox knows many tricks; the hedgehog one good one."
-Archilochus

A landmark hotel, one of America's most beautiful cities, and three and a half days of immersion in the state of the art: