Dynamic GUI = Dynamic Documentation?

Subject: Dynamic GUI = Dynamic Documentation?
From: Matt Floyd <Floyd -at- ORsoftware -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 14:17:44 -0400

Hello,

I am preparing to document a new subset of our software application that
uses dynamic GUI - a means that allows our users to build their own
interface screens - placing certain defined objects on windows and dialog
boxes - according to their specific needs and how they prefer to collect
information.

Since there will be no one standardized method of setting up this
application, I may create an object reference section that displays each
application object (for instance, the Customer Name drop down list, the
Address dialog box, etc.). This reference section would describe the use of
the object. I will also include an Instructions section. Some other
sections documented may be an Recommended Setup and Screen Building Tips.

In the future I would also like our customers to dynamically generate
documentation based on the objects they have placed on their interface
screens, using a online database publishing software with a FrameMaker to
PDF layout component (such as Miramo).

Has anyone else out there documented a dynamic GUI application? Is there a
better way of describing a software application that can be totally set up
by users?

Matt