Re: Undocumenting documented features

Subject: Re: Undocumenting documented features
From: edunn -at- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 09:21:29 -0400

I'd have to disagree with Gilda and others on this thread. I think that there is
nothing wrong with leaving the functionality in the program, but removing the
documentation.

Just look at functions such as Freeze Pagination (Esc p z) in FrameMaker. While
undocumented since about version 5, and the fact it doesn't work entirely as one
would expect, there are still uses for it.

What raises questions in my head is the "they can do the same tasks, more easily
and efficiently, with another product from our company". Does that mean they
have to pay more to do the same thing? I would be very unimpressed if software I
used stripped functionality and then made me buy a separate package. The norm, I
would think, is that with each successive release FEWER add-on products and
packages should be required as the product matures.

Removing functionality from a program is a dangerous thing. There may be
existing users who depend on the functionality to execute macros, run plug-ins,
or have documented workflows. Forcing them into rewriting/reworking their custom
solutions along with upgrading the software may cause them to jump ship to
another product. If you remove it without warning them, you may incur their
wrath. They'll downgrade to the older software to meet current demands and then
out of [spite/revenge/justified worry about support] move to another product for
future needs.

In any case, look at it this way: many, if not most, software packages have
undocumented features. Either because of newer overlapping functionality, or the
feature never made it to prime time. But many advanced users may have found ways
to leverage these 'hidden' features in ways the original programmers never
envisioned.

What is your worry about the documentation disappearing? New users would
unlikely stumble across the old functionality as the documentation will point
them to the new functions. Older users will know what they are doing and will
probably have older reference manuals kicking around if they have need of help
with the older functions.

Eric L. Dunn