RE: Undocumenting documented features

Subject: RE: Undocumenting documented features
From: Jim Shaeffer <jims -at- spsi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 10:02:20 -0400

> Yes, they would see the old functionality very easily. For example,
> without going into technical details, when you create a new item,
> there's a drop-down list giving you a choice. If I eliminate the
> obsolete items, there will be two choices in that drop-down list that
> will have no explanation.

Has you brought this set of facts to the explicit attention of your
management recently?
IMHO, most managers have a completeness fetish. "If it appears in
the interface, it must be documented." Their current position seems
unnatural for managers, but it may be that nobody has gone through this
thought sequence with them for awhile. (In any chain of decisions, it
is easy for teams to lose track of the early decisions while making
later ones.)

Jim Shaeffer (jims -at- spsi -dot- com)