Index, floundering whilst creating an (see also --> Maintaining Sanity, Self-Doubt)

Subject: Index, floundering whilst creating an (see also --> Maintaining Sanity, Self-Doubt)
From: "Carey Jennifer (Cry)" <jennifer -dot- carey -at- cdi -dot- cerberus -dot- ch>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 17:17:25 +0200

Dear All,

I have the great joy of creating my first index (I don't know how I managed
to get out of it for so many years!) and I've read some docs covering the
basic principles such as converting headings into multiple entries, listing
synonyms, scouring the doc for other possible topics.

The document is in Word, though I haven't started the actual indexing within
the doc yet. Right now I'm just listing all the possible combinations I can
come up with in a big table. I just feel like I'm missing something, my
topic list to-date seems simultaneously excessive and incomplete. I also
feel that I'm lacking clear methodology in the whole process.

Any advice out there? I'd also be interested to know the average length of
your attention span while performing this task (mine is pretty short!).

Thanks,
Lost in a sea of words
(a.k.a. Jennifer)