Re: Re: Re: Senior Technical Writer

Subject: Re: Re: Re: Senior Technical Writer
From: "Robert B. Kennedy" <textexcellence -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 17:59:00 -0700 (PDT)

Peter,

I'd like to offer a different perspective: namely,
cultural. When I lived and worked in Germany
(91-96, Wuerzburg Tour), German business people
use to joke about how easily Americans don
the title "Manager." Americans know it's not
uncommon to find unseasoned financial consultants
named "Vice President."

Unlike European cultures, we do not have a centuries-
long tradition of titles, hence we affix them rather
casually. European titles stem from
lucky genealogies or long-established traditions
like the German "Meister" worker, which to this
day requires years of training (my wife's father
was a "Meister" Bookbinder... six years to
learn how to mend books{!}).

Add this casual attitude the rather amorphous
skill of technical writing, with its broad range
of specialties and lack of formal training, and
voila! Instant status. Most Americans are accustomed
to this casual inflation of one's importance because
it is so widespread... whereas it can easily offend
the European sense of propriety.

PS: I can't speak for the Canadians...

Best,

Bobby