RE: Salary Review Time

Subject: RE: Salary Review Time
From: "Cook, Jenise" <jenise -dot- cook-crabbe -at- pacificlife -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 13:49:23 -0700

Peter wrote:<<I'm in the process of negotiating a raise with my employer,
and he's being very good about the whole thing. The problem is, we are
having a hard time determining a "fair" or normal salary for a technical
writer in the Central Valley.>>

Peter, try Orange County's salaries. I was in San Francisco this past
Saturday and Sunday. Housing up there is twice as much as the prices here,
if not more. (They are also still shell-shocked from the layoffs. Very sad.)

The STC median salary for our three-digit prefix (926xx) is $60,000. I know
of TWs here who are in the $52,000 to $57,000 range. So, for Central Valley,
that range may work for you. There's been enough growth in your area
(Fresno, Bakersfield) not to short change yourself too much. (The TWs I
mentioned aren't hyper-tekkie. If you are, add more dollars to your range.)

I don't know of a Web site. However, ask a local realtor. They have access
to your area's demographics, including salary ranges.

Jenise Cook-Crabbe
Senior Technical Writer
Pacific Life Insurance Company
www.PacificLife.com