RE: Resized screen shot graphics in Frame 6.5 for PC

Subject: RE: Resized screen shot graphics in Frame 6.5 for PC
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 09:51:45 -0400

Unless you are beta testing something, I assume you meant PageMaker 6.5 or
FrameMaker 6.0 ;?)

If you are taking a screen capture that is full-page size, and then trying
to reduce it to fit in, say, a 4-inch text column, you are out of luck.

<ramble>
A screen capture is a raster picture at a particular time and size. It
contains a certain number of pixels at a given size and resolution. If you
mess with those parameters, you are likely to degrade the image. Rasters are
not easily resizable. The best you can do is to increase the resolution of
the image to make it smaller. But, to fit a page-size image into a text
column requires a huge increase in resolution.

The problem in changing resolution is that a screen has a fixed resolution.
Let's say that's 96 dpi. If your image is anything but 96 dpi, then the
image will exhibit some anti-aliasing, possibly jaggies, and resolution
snafus as the video card fits a resolution other than 96 dpi to a 96 dpi
screen. Of course, somebody else probably is using a different resolution.
To make matters worse, your printer has a resolution probably of 600 dpi and
a linescreen of around 150 dpi (probably a little less than that). Anyway,
the good news is that to print clearly, your resolution needs only to be
divisible evenly into the output resolution of your device, so 120 dpi and
150 dpi work great.

As for color, an 8-bit optimized pallette works great (unless you are
outputting via a CMYK printing process). 24-bit, 32-bit, or higher color
likely only results in larger file size for no other gain.

The bottom line is to ignore how the image looks in FrameMaker and focus on
making the image acceptable in your output, be that PDF or printed on paper.

</ramble>

Cheers,

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com