Font Problem with PDF

Subject: Font Problem with PDF
From: Scott Wahl <wahl_scott -at- yahoo -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 10:15:46 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,

I am having a problem with fonts in PDF. When I create
a PDF file, characters that use specific fonts (in
particular Zapf Dingbats) are missing. The problem
seems to be with the postscript print driver rather
than with Distiller.

Here are the facts:

1. I am working on Windows 2000 and Adobe Acrobat 4.0.

2. I have installed many font, including Zapf
Dingbats, into c:\winnt\fonts. These fonts appear
correctly in my source FrameMaker files.

3. I print to postscript from FrameMaker using a
generic AdobePS print driver.

4. When I distill into PDF, I do not get any errors,
and the PDF appears correctly: except that the special
characters that use the Zapf Dingbats font are missing
(just blank space).

5. For comparison, the Symbol font seems to appear
correctly. Both Symbol and Zapf Dingbats have the same
entries in the PPD file for the print driver I'm
using:

* Font Symbol: Special "(001.008)" Special ROM
* Font ZapfDingbats: Special "(002.000)" Special ROM

6. Only difference I can see is that for Symbol, I
have both the Type 1 and TrueType font files
installed. For Zapf Dingbats, I only have Type 1.

Any ideas from the printing experts out there? Thanks.

./Scott

--
Scott Wahl
Senior Technical Writer