Re: Job Market - Same or Worse Than Before DotCom Mania?

Subject: Re: Job Market - Same or Worse Than Before DotCom Mania?
From: "Lurker writer" <lurker_writer -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 14:21:00 -0500

I'll have to disagree just a bit with Bruce based on the stats I've seen. The demand for IT workers in 2001 according to a report published in US News and World Report about 16 months ago was 300,000 people, and 66,000 of that number was for technical writers. While reading in one of the many free industry magazines I get every week, I recently saw that the number of technical writers needed by IT for 2001-2002 was less than 5,000 (for some reason, the number 2,200 comes to mind).

I call a 90% decrease in projected number of technical writers (for IT) a precipitous drop. From my visits to job sites, I know there are far fewer being adversited/promoted than there were 14 months ago. I used to get calls from recruiters at least every other week when I was working in dot-com heaven (1-99 to 8-00). Since December, I haven't heard from one.

Fortunately, where I am now, the powers that be see and understand that the technical communications function is far under head count for the amount of work we have and the work that will be scheduled.

A landmark hotel, one of America's most beautiful cities, and three and a half days of immersion in the state of the art: