Assumptions, the Audience and Arithmetic

Subject: Assumptions, the Audience and Arithmetic
From: "John Fleming" <johnf -at- ecn -dot- ab -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 22:43:27 -0600

Here's the scoop.

Earlier today, I was interviewing a subject matter expert about an
accounting procedure that requires a certain amount of arithmetic.

At one point in the procedure is a series of steps where the person
doing the procedure, to use the mathematical description, subtracts
one number from another. The number subtracted is often negative
(meaning, in layman's terms, change the sign and add).

When we hit this spot, my SME went into some pretty convoluted and
arcane descriptions of this process. Points about remembering when to
change the sign and add and so forth. Scary thing is, she had a
yellow sticky to remind her of some of these more arcane gyrations.

Now, the intended audience is generally clerical/accounting staff.
That is, while they are capable of doing a lot of accounting
functions, they are by no means professional accountants or people
with BCOM degrees.

This puts me in an awkward position about making a judgement call.

Can I safely assume that my audience can understand the procedure if
explained in the basic mathematical terms. That is, subtract A from
B, with the assumption that they would know that when the B is
negative, they need to change the sign and add? Or am I going to need
a somewhat more complex explanation?

Has anybody else here done writing for this kind of audience? What
was your experience?

--

John Fleming
Technical Writer