RE: Job Market - Same or Worse Than Before DotCom Mania?

Subject: RE: Job Market - Same or Worse Than Before DotCom Mania?
From: "Ehr, Meg" <Meg -dot- Ehr -at- smartworks -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 11:51:12 -0400

One thing to consider when trying to gauge the health of the job market by
the number of postings is that many companies *never* post jobs. My job was
never advertised on any job site (I know, because I would have seen it), nor
was my coworker's. In fact, I'm not sure my company has ever advertised any
of their TW positions. Instead, they use referrals, and searches for resumes
posted on sites like Monster and Headhunter. When all else fails, they'll
advertise, but if they can, they'd rather fill the position without that
expense.

>From personal experience, during my job search, I'd get way more hits on my
resume than there were posted positions. Also, on some occasions, I was
contacted directly regarding positions that weren't posted until a week or
two later.

There are definitely fewer positions posted, and fewer available positions
overall. However, given that it's a buyer's market right now, many companies
may be finding that they can find good candidates without the expense of
advertising -- or they may just be tired of getting hundreds-thousands of
resumes for each position they post... At any rate, while the situation is a
lot worse than it used to be, the number of positions posted doesn't tell
the whole story.

Meg