RE: Biggest salary cut you've taken?

Subject: RE: Biggest salary cut you've taken?
From: "Glenn Maxey" <glenn -dot- maxey -at- voyanttech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 08:58:47 -0600

Ignoring the "wife and child" tacked onto the end of this personal
financial statement from a couple of years ago:

<rant>
This doesn't bode well as a reflection on the society and culture, or
the "American Way of Life". You [as in America] got taken advantage of
well before your pay cut that you would be suckered by the media into
believing you "gotta have it now" before you could really afford it.

I mean, _two_ car payments! This implies two new cars. I'd bet that one
of them is an overly expensive and overly fuel inefficient SUV or
pick-up, too. Whatever happened to used cars? Whatever happened to car
pooling, taking the bus, and better family scheduling so that one
vehicle would suffice? What about car sharing?

And the _multiple_ credit card accounts and _other_ debts! What do you
have to show for it? A handful of CDs, a few inches around your midriff
from fine foods eating out, an entertainment center that numbs your mind
each evening and prevents the midriff from getting smaller...
</rant>

I don't mean to be ragging on you, Robert, because you are [were] not
alone in that type of a leaky financial boat.

I'm just shocked that so many "educated" people could overextend
themselves into such panic situations.

"Money can't buy me love."

The corrillary is that debt incurred while acquiring "things" causes
more anxiety and fear than it does happiness for having the use of those
"things."

Glenn Maxey
Voyant Technologies, Inc.
Tel. +1 303.223.5164
Fax. +1 303.223.5275
glenn -dot- maxey -at- voyanttech -dot- com