RE: Salaries vs. cost of living

Subject: RE: Salaries vs. cost of living
From: bryan -dot- westbrook -at- amd -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 11:34:16 -0500

I just finished a summer school crash course in rhetorical theory (it was a
required class in the MA program, not one I probably would have chosen since
I had so much of it as an undergrad) so lately I have been a bit
hyper-sensitive to how people use language to marginalize other groups
(among other issues).

When I saw the original message the detail that stuck in my mind was that
the top four spots on the list were all Southern cities (two of which I have
lived in within the past year). Therefore, I interpreted the list as moving
from best (Houston) to worst (what was it? New York?) and the authors
statement that being at the top of the list would require suffering to be a
slam on Southern cities.

If the author of that message meant it just as a comment about cities in
general, I apologize for my assumption, but I want to point out (and this is
actually a very relevant point to the list) that it was the ambiguity of the
way he stated it (never defining what his criteria for "suffering" is or
what he meant by saying it) that caused my assumption. (Of course, if it
was meant as a regional slam, I stand by my original objections.)