RE: Contractors: Run Credit Checks for Questionable Customers?

Subject: RE: Contractors: Run Credit Checks for Questionable Customers?
From: Wally <Wally -at- pctrader -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 10:11:48 -0700

Not sure how things work in Andrew's neck of the woods, but in my experience
you cannot get a plumber or electrician to even show up at your house
without an up-front payment, which they will keep even if they do nothing
for you. If you "hire" them, then that payment is deducted from the total.
As for lawyers, what do you think a retainer is, if not an up-front payment?
With doctors, I think they assume you'll come back to complete the
treatment(s), but if you don't have insurance coverage, which you must
verify before you even see the doctor, then I imagine you'd have to pay
up-front at least in the sense that you pay for the service and then have to
wait and see if the treatment (i.e., a prescription, etc.) actually does the
job.

IOWs, up-front, partial payments are SOP in many, if not most, contractual
situations these days.

Wally Glassett
Technical Documentation
Digital Integrator, Inc.