Job Market - Canadian Style

Subject: Job Market - Canadian Style
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 16:45:26 -0700

A few days ago, someone was asking about how the job market was in various parts of the United States. Recently, I've had several indications of the Canadian job market. For those that are interested, I thought I'd pass them along:

- IDG's predictions from two weeks ago are that, while the Canadian high-tech market is declining, it isn't declining as quickly as the American market is. Nor is it likely to decline as far. Most analyists predict that Canadian high-tech will continue to grow at 10% per year or more.

- After the usual lull in July, companies in Vancouver are starting to think about what staff they need for autumn when everyone's more serious again. As soon as August 1 rolled around, the number of jobs being advertised increased from about one a week to about three or four a week. That's slower than last year, but not bad, either, especially when I consider that those numbers are only the most visible openings. As I'm sure everyone knows, many - possibly most - jobs never make the newspapers or the job boards. Does anyone know what things are like elsewhere in Canada?

- I've had five offers ranging from a one month contract to steady retainers to full-time employment within the last two weeks (including three today). Some of the jobs are less exciting than last year, but any job market in which a choice is available isn't one to complain about.

I can only conclude that either:
a.) fool's luck is operating on behalf of one of those for whom it's named.

b.) I am incredibly skilled at job-hunting.

c.) The market is still pretty good.

While I can't discount a.), I'm not inclined to believe b.), so I think that the bottom line must be pretty good in Vancouver. If you can get used to Canadians' funny vowel sounds and tolerate our smug assumption that we're morally superior to Americans, it might not be a bad place to look.

"Stillborn love, passionate dreams, pitiful greed
And the silver tongues of the tinker girls
Who throw the book of life at you
But don't know how to read."
-Richard Thompson, "Gypsy Love Songs"

A landmark hotel, one of America's most beautiful cities, and three and a half days of immersion in the state of the art: