Re: Documentation Process

Subject: Re: Documentation Process
From: "Robert L. Stallard \(News Lists\)" <rlslists -at- ev1 -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 23:51:54 -0500

Greetings Colleagues,

David wrote:
> Programmers program. I've seen a vendor hire
> programmers for all positions like sales and training.
> I watched that company die a quick death.
> Programmers cannot do everything. As far as writing
> doc goes, they focus on the wrong things most of the
> time.

I saw a posting on a mayor job site looking for electrical or electronic
engineers to be trained on-the-job as technical writers. Do you think this
company knows what it's doing? No wonder many professional technical
writers cannot get jobs if employers believe they can train other
professionals to be technical writers in a couple of weeks of on-the-job
training.

The pay range was something like $30K to $50K per year. Don't electrical
engineers start at a higher rate fresh out of college? Would skilled
technical writers accept a job with this salary range?

Robert L. Stallard
Technical Writer
Houston, Texas