RE: Relocating to USA and Dual Citizenship (was Job Market in the USA)

Subject: RE: Relocating to USA and Dual Citizenship (was Job Market in the USA)
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 09:40:14 -0400

Actually, I can relate a couple of similar experiences, but this is not what
I said nor is it what I meant.

What I said and meant is actually a pretty harmless observation:

Given, two candidates are applying for the same job.
Given, the two candidates have equal training, education, and experience.
Given, one candidate is local and has been in the local workforce for, let's
say 6 years.
Given, one candidate is currently living overseas and has 6-years'
experience overseas, and is planning to relocate to the area local to the
employer.

Then,

1) The employer will have an easier task of checking employment history and
references for the local candidate.

2) It will be less expensive for the employer to check on the local
candidate.

3) There are fewer perceived issues of hireability (i.e. no Immigration and
Naturalization concerns) with hiring the local candidate.

4) For the local candidate, there is no perceived uncertainty whether the
employee will actually move to the area and thus actually be available for
work after being hired.

5) H.R. drones and a good many other types are simply more comfortable
dealing with what they know: their local environment.

Thus, I was not putting down the foreign experience or training of a tech
writer. Merely I was observing that, given a tighter job market and tighter
competition for jobs, the overseas candidate would be at a disadvantage.

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com

<big snip>