Re: conventions

Subject: Re: conventions
From: "Michael West" <mbwest -at- bigpond -dot- net -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 23:59:14 +1000

Heather writes:

> What I want is a 'shorthand' syntax convention
> for the selection sequence 'Tools, Options, File
> Locations, File types, Documents, Modify.' so
> as to avoid all the non bold words in the above
> example.
> Can anyone give an authoritative view
> on this, please?

Sure. The "authoritative" answer is -- don't do it.
The Microsoft Manual of Style advises against
those shorthand representations of menu paths.

For those who choose to do it, the most common
style of notation is to use a > character between levels.
I don't recall ever seeing ANY of the styles represented
in your examples.

I think the shorthand version is useful in command
summaries and quick-reference cards, where space is
at a premium. In normal instructional writing, the full
narrative version is superior because it does a better job
of teaching a logical path through the menus. The
shorthand version merely gives a series of commands
to be imitated in rote fashion.

As an aside, please note that "bold" text does not come
across in newsgroup postings when the recipient is using
"plain text" for messages (as, I suspect, most people
are).

--
Michael West
Melbourne, Australia