RE: Style Question

Subject: RE: Style Question
From: "Lurker writer" <lurker_writer -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 10:29:41 -0500

Doug Bailey said:
"I think the problem is that Hawaii has a comparatively large number of

non-natives, so using the same terminological convention might not be as
accurate as desired."

Well that might be true, but the same can be said for all the other examples..it's a catch-all term. Florida has a large population of non-natives and they are called Floridians...

BUT, if the intent is to determine what to call indigenous peoples (different from "natives"), then perhaps "people of Hawaiian descent" or "people of Polynesian descent" may be more accurate.

I don't think the original post was clear on the intent and perhaps we've muddled it a bit!

A landmark hotel, one of America's most beautiful cities, and three and a half days of immersion in the state of the art: