Re: More ethics...

Subject: Re: More ethics...
From: "Janet Valade" <jvalade1 -at- san -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 19:08:32 -0700

> > If I understand you correctly, you are saying morally stealing can be
> > OK, even though legally it is wrong.
>
> I never said that it was OK - just that, by the criterion of the harm
done, some thefts were worse than others.

> You react as if this idea is somehow new. Yet it's not. Executing someone
behalf of the state is considered acceptable by many. So is killing during
war. Killing by accident or self-defence is generally punished less harshly
than deliberately planned killing. In all cases, the act is the same, but
the degree of blame differs. I can't think of any reason why theft should be
absolute when killing isn't.

The law recognizes degrees of theft anyway. Larceny, burglary, robbery are
all stealing, but are different crimes according to the law, with different
punishments. Further, there is Robbery I, robbery II, robbery III; all
crimes that are defined differently, with different degrees of seriousness
and different degrees of punishment.

Janet