RE: More ethics... (long, of course)

Subject: RE: More ethics... (long, of course)
From: "Tracy Boyington" <tracy_boyington -at- okcareertech -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 13:42:11 -0500

I'll admit this is one of those areas where I have decided to follow my own moral standard instead of (what I assume is) the letter of the law. The fact that auto insurance doesn't cover damaged or stolen CDs kept in the car makes backup copies awfully tempting, but I haven't made copies of entire CDs. However, I have made my own compilations. I realize this sounds hypocritical, but it feels fair to me because it is not, in any way, impacting the ability to sell the original CDs. And impact on sales is one of the deciding points of "fair use."

But yeah, I'm still probably a hypocrite. ;-)

~~~~~
Tracy Boyington tracy_boyington -at- okcareertech -dot- org
Oklahoma Department of Career & Technology Education
Stillwater, OK http://www.okcareertech.org/cimc

>>> "Robert Rinehart" <robert -at- hgus -dot- com> 08/21/01 12:31PM >>>

> Andrew Plato wrote:
>There is no need to make "backup" copies of DVDs or CDs as they
> cannot be overwritten.

While I am not taking sides, I believe that it can be necessary to make
backup copies of DVDs or CDs. They can be lost, stolen, broken, or damaged.