RE: More ethics...(The plumber)

Subject: RE: More ethics...(The plumber)
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 10:20:51 -0500

I explained once to Kevin that the analogy still holds, but of course he
doesn't acknowledge it. Here's the deal (expanded due to audience):

>What's the difference? The writer or arteeste
>finishes a job, gets paid for it, and then
>expects the money to keep rolling in. But they
>don't think they have to do another spot of WORK
>for that next paycheque, and the one after and
>the one after that.
>
>Why should the plumber or carpenter or mechanic
>want to extend a privilege to you that is not
>reciprocated? What do they gain? Where's the
>utility for them?

Condo building owner goes to plumber and strikes a deal with the plumber.
The plumber is to plumb the entire building (one contract). As an aid to
the condo developer's cash flow, he proposes the plumber agree to accept a
partial down payment on his fee, and to be paid in installments thereafter,
as each unit of the condo is sold. As the developer gets a return on his
investment, the plumber will also get paid. The plumber, being a
fundamentally generous guy, agrees to the deal. Plumber fulfills one
contract, with payments spread out over months (perhaps years). Of course
the amount of payment varies with the number of condo units sold, and the
total due varies with the number of condo units in the building.

Now, substitute author and publisher for plumber and developer.

The major differences between the plumber and the author, is the plumber,
on average, makes more money, can refuse to work under those circumstances,
and knows for certain how many units are in the building (and by extension,
precisely how big of a job he's tackling).

There are several other objections, but they don't belong on this list. I
just figured that since Kevin dragged his analogy onto the list, you
deserved to hear the response as well.

Signing off from further discussion on list. (In fact, signing off from
further reading of this subject on list, to avoid temptation.)

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224