RE: Writing Proposals

Subject: RE: Writing Proposals
From: "Christensen, Kent" <lkchris -at- sandia -dot- gov>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 09:54:53 -0600

re: Meena S: One of my colleagues just asked me how to write a Technical
Proposal. To be frank, I am stumped- even though I am a Technical Writer, I
have not come across any good technical proposals.

I'd offer technical writers would do well to be a bit more aware of the big
picture in the area of technical proposals.

At our firm we have a rather extensive training program directed toward
technical personnel (more the SMEs than the writers) regarding how to obtain
new business. Very very little of this effort is directed toward written
material such as proposals--rather it's mostly directed toward personal
contact. It's salesmanship for sure.

I'd imagine there are times when "paperwork" is required, and that's where a
tech writer might be able to help with a technical proposal, but this all
should be seen in context as probably a small part of a larger effort. A
savvy tech writer might even be able to help with the larger effort as long
as there is the realization it isn't much about grammar, tables of contents,
etc.

A couple of vendors used here to train our techies in getting technical
business are
http://www.youcansell.com/
http://www.delaporte.com/home.htm

Certainly I have no personal financial interest in either.

As regards the writing, summarizing up front--as in the Pyramid Pardigm
(registerd TM of co. at next link)--seems advisable. Here's the link--again
just one of our vendors and no financial interest for me.
http://www.protrainco.com/