Re: FWD: On using pirated software

Subject: Re: FWD: On using pirated software
From: Sandy Harris <sandy -at- storm -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 12:28:12 -0400

anonfwd -at- raycomm -dot- com wrote:

> ... I have used unlicensed software as a technical writer for one simple reason.
> My employer ... If I don't use the software, ... I'll be fired. ...
>
> Of course, this situation presents an ethical dilemma; do the work and
> break the law in the process by using illegal software, or take a stand
> and put myself out of a job. In this case I can't afford to take a stand.

You have several choices other than just living with it or taking a stand that
you think might get you fired. The ones I can think of offhand are:

1) Start looking for another job, preferably before trying any of my other
suggestions.

2) Turn them in, anonymously.

3) Take a very mild stand.

Don't make a big fuss or refuse to use the software, just ask the odd
embarassing question. This probably won't change anything, but it might
make you feel better.

4) Take a strong stand, but cover your butt first.

Talk to a lawyer. Then send a email to management, pointing out the problem
and asking what company policy is. Say nothing outrageous or combative.
Make sure you have a record.

If anyone gives you a hard time, escalate. e.g. If your boss tells you "off
the record" to shut the **** up, send email to the CEO and company legal
dep't., cc'ing the boss. Quote your earlier email, recount the conversation,
and ask if this is indeed corporate policy.

If they push this hard enough, your lawyer threatens both to sue for wrongful
dismissal and to turn all the correspondence over to the Software Publisher's
Association. Ask the lawyer, but my guess is you should be able to walk away
with a few year's salary.

5) Investigate free software. In the long run perhaps Linux or OpenBSD as an
OS, but first consider smaller things that can be done more easily.

Sun offer Star Office for free download. It does more-or-less everything MS
office or the Corel package do, runs on Solaris, Linux and several versions
of Windows, and is good enough that a recent news story reported the US Air
Force standardising on it.

Or look at the tools used in the Linux Documentation Project (www.linuxdoc.org).
DocBook XML source gives output in HTML, PDF, Postscript, ...

Details for writers are at:
http://www.linuxdoc.org/LDP/LDP-Author-Guide/
Many of these tools run on Windows. I think all of them could be made to
with the cygwin32 stuff from Redhat.

Could you be a local hero, saving the company large amounts of money, and
protecting it from the risks associated with unlicensed software, by introducing
some of these tools?

> Of course, my impression is that if anyone got busted for the illegal
> software it would be the employer, not me.

Yes.

> I'd have to guess that my situation is hardly unique.

Probably not.