Re: Overcoming archaic doc tools?

Subject: Re: Overcoming archaic doc tools?
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 10:31:57 -0600

Be ready to become a salesperson.

Because you can't just complain; you need to offer a SOLUTION. You'll need
to research the ramifications of changing tools, which include (among MANY
other considerations) the issues of converting legacy documents, using (or
adding to) the skillsets of the other writers, and the big show-stopper:
COST.

Also, be slow to be dismissive of your coworkers' attitudes. Maybe what
you're interpreting as small-mindedness on their part is really just the
resignation of people who have already contemplated the issue, and
surrendered to its complexity. (Maybe not; it's your call.)

At any rate, you'll need to DEVELOP a full-blown solution to this problem,
and then PITCH IT to the Powers That Be.

I've done this several times. More than often, I've lost. But I have won
occasionally.

Another point to consider is the possible "annoyance factor." Are your
superiors truly open to new ideas? If not, you risk alienating yourself
with too many unsolicited suggestions. Again it's your call, but I'd warn
you to choose your battles wisely...

Good luck!

-Keith Cronin