Re: Professional respect

Subject: Re: Professional respect
From: Jo Francis Byrd <jbyrd -at- byrdwrites -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 09:17:11 -0500

I think a lot of it has to do with your own attitude, too. Because I don't work
as a permanent employee, but on contract, that tends to elevate me a little
automatically. Mostly, though, I assume everyone there is a professional (even
the "lowly" help desk personnel and "administrative assistants" as secretaries
are called these days), treat them accordingly, and behave as though I am a
professional due respect. Most of the time I don't have any problems.

Yes, I have dealt with the "what do you know, you're just a tech writer"
mentality, usually from IT. I roll my eyes (behind their backs, of course),
ignore them as much as possible, and do the best job I can. My self worth
doesn't depend on those bozos. Of course, if the opportunity arises where I
demonstrate that even though I AM "just a tech writer" I DO know what I'm doing,
what I'm talking about....oh, yeah, I can gloat with the best of us. Not to
them, of course, to them I am so gracious, so sweet, so nice...it's disgusting.
It really is.

Jo Byrd