RE: Word to HTML?

Subject: RE: Word to HTML?
From: "Dan Hall" <dhall -at- san-carlos -dot- rms -dot- slb -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 11:32:04 -0500

Susan,

We have a set of custom macros that we use to convert Word to HTML. They
were written to avoid the problems inherent in Word (problems with nested
lists, broken autonumbering, etc.) and to give us "clean" HTML. It does
require that the original document be written using a specific template, but
that's the only drawback (so far.)

I've also done as Geoff suggested, and output using Word 2000's HTML filter,
and then used DreamWeaver to "clean up" the output. This results in amusing
"clean-up" messages, such as one I saw yesterday:

Cleanup Summary:
32 Empty tags removed
872 Comments removed
52 font tags combined

That's a lot of unnecessary HTML overhead in a single doc.

HTH

Dan Hall

Have something to say, and say it as clearly as
you can. That is the only secret of style.
__ Matthew Arnold