Re: HTML editor: does everyone need to be on the same page?

Subject: Re: HTML editor: does everyone need to be on the same page?
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 12:57:30 -0700 (PDT)

"didjit ***" wrote...

> I am working on a project where the project lead is obsessive about
making
> all of the writers involved use a specific HTML editor. While I am
flexible
> about the tools that I use, the tool about which this project lead is
> obsessive, requires me to use an operating system I'd rather not. Hint:

> it's a Microsoft product. I don't have any problems with Windows, but if
> can just abide by a set of coding guidelines that will ensure my HTML is
up
> to spec, do I really need to switch operating systems?

Yes, because why should a company change its rules and introduce counter
productivity just to suit your personal preferences.

The overhead managing between two OSes, let alone two different tools can
be considerable. No matter how much you can reduce that, there must be
some time spend - either up front or along the way - to handle the
incompatibilities.

Part of the reason to standardize with a tool and OS is that you can
eliminate or drastically reduce overhead managing incompatibilities.

THis is why the "if its right, why can't I use any tool I want" notion
generally fails. IN THEORY it sounds swell. But in reality, there is
always overhead associated to managing a diverse tool set. From a
business perspective, unnecessary overhead means additional cost.

Also the "but I am more productive in this tool" argument is also a
failure. If you accept a different tool, eventually, you will become
productive using it. There is also the fact that your productivity must be
integrated to a whole team or an entire company - which *is* productive
using a different tool. Therefore, standardization is important.

Also, development of coding guidelines is more overhead. The more time you
spend developing coding guidelines and integrating disparate tools, the
less time there is for doing what you were mostly likely hired to do -
write documentation. Your manager is likely heading all that off by
mandating a tool so as not to allow writers to stray off into wasteful
one-off work.

My suggestion - do it the way your manager wants and learn how to become
productive using the tool. You may find that it is better than you
thought, or more importantly, you may pick up a skill you don't have.

Andrew Plato

http://phonecard.yahoo.com/