RE: Questions about FAQs

Subject: RE: Questions about FAQs
From: Emily Cotlier <Emily -dot- Cotlier -at- zeacom -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 09:04:37 +1200

I recently worked with a large, complex FAQ about our software for our
international offices. I edited it and posted a version in RoboHelp WebHelp
on our company intranet. Like Steve Hudson also did, instead of posting one
gigantic list, I broke it down into general and specific topic areas. For
questions with long answers, I tucked the answers into drop-down text, so
that the page is still easy to browse. Related links are included on each
page. Because a lot of this information is complex/specific, it's been
indexed to make it easier to search the complex/specific parts--the ability
to add an index easily is why we've implemented it in WebHelp instead of
standard HTML. People are using it, and instead of complaints, we get more
questions to be added to the list.

We do have one problem -- one or two out of a hundred users can't view the
TOC/Index panes for this WebHelp on their screens, although they can see the
first topic screen. Not being a general-web guru, I've contacted RoboHelp
tech support about this several times. One time, someone was viewing it in a
non-supported version of IE, and changing back to IE 5 solved the problem.
Does anyone have any other suggestions to help solve this problem with
WebHelp projects posted on an Intranet? Do system security settings affect
this at all?

thanks,

Emily Cotlier
Documentor/Technical Writer
Zeacom Limited
PO Box 8686, Symonds Street
Auckland, New Zealand
emily -dot- cotlier -at- zeacom -dot- net
www.zeacom.net