Re: HTML editor: does everyone need to be on the same page?

Subject: Re: HTML editor: does everyone need to be on the same page?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 10:57:40 -0700

Jo Francis Byrd wrote:

I have used tools I didn't like, created help systems that sucked (let's hear it
for non-disclosure agreements!) because that was what my client wanted. We're
hired guns (whether we're there as a permanent employee or as a contract
employee) and we use the client's weapon of choice. Personal preference and 50
cents (or whatever change the vending machine demands) gets you your cold,
carbonated beverage of choice.

Another important consideration, especially if you're a contractor: being too insistent on using a particular tool is a good way to get a reputation for being inflexible - and therefore less employable. It's one thing to suggest your favorite software when the issue of what to standardize on is still being settled, but, once the decision is made, you only look unprofessional if you keep insisting on having your way.

If you are stuck with using software you dislike, the best thing to do is to console yourself with the fact that you're gaining more experience with another tool. That looks good on the resume, even if you take a lifelong vow never to use that particular software again.

"Hallelujah, I'm a bum,
Hallelujah, bum again;
Hallelujah, give us a handout
To revive us again."
-American Traditional, 20th Century

A landmark hotel, one of America's most beautiful cities, and three and a half days of immersion in the state of the art: