RE: Issues with Adobe Acrobat and PDFs

Subject: RE: Issues with Adobe Acrobat and PDFs
From: Roger Bell <RBell -at- OptioSoftware -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 12:46:20 -0400

Hi Rowena,

Good luck teaching the class...especially in Vancouver, one of my favorite
cities.

I have issues with Adobe Acrobat on NT and 2000 platforms. The Distiller
printer driver does not have all the features of the Windows 98 and 95
version.

For example, I cannot create watermarks. When I questioned Adobe, their
support folks referred me to their support database where I found a highly
complex "workaround." It was so complex and tedious, I doubt many people
would go to the trouble. I didn't. My own workaround is to create the
watermark in Word before going to PDF. Not as pretty as in Acrobat for 95
and 98, but it works.

A second problem is the NT/2000 driver does not support custom page sizes.
You can create custom page sizes in the Distiller properties, but it does
not work. I end up with blank PDF files, landscape files, or other bizarre
results. My workaround is to use the 8.5x11 page size and to crop the pages
after creating the PDF.

So, my gripe with Adobe is their lack of support for us folks on NT/2000
platforms. Hope that helps you with your class.

Regards,
Roger Bell
Senior Technical Writer
Optio Software, Inc.
www.optiosoftware.com
"A pessimist is one who makes difficulties of his opportunities and an
optimist is one who makes opportunities of his difficulties." ~ Harry Truman