RE: Question for Contract Tech Writers

Subject: RE: Question for Contract Tech Writers
From: "David Demyan" <dbdemyan -at- worldnet -dot- att -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 22:50:05 -0400

Patty,

I frequently work this way. As your Product Management Director
said, some of us like to "multitask." A professional writer
who has worked freelance assignments can easily handle the
type of assignment you described. If fact, he or she probably
prefers to work that way. I have placed some other observations
into your text, below.

Dave Demyan
Mendem Concord, Inc.
http://www.mendem.com

> My question to my colleague is this:
> ===============================
> I must say that, if I were in their shoes, unless
> there was a guarantee of future work *on paper* I
> would be reluctant to promise anything. Contract
> work is very unreliable, especially in this economy.
>
> It would be extremely unwise for a contract tech
> writer to turn down other offers based on a "we'll
> probably have more work for you in 3 months, so
> stick around" request on our part.

I don't agree. The savvy writer has other work to keep
him or her occupied while waiting for the next
assignment from your company. I would never turn down
another offer, but I would look for ways to satisfy
both clients.

> If we can't step to the line with any guarantees,
> what's in it for them to commit to an ongoing
> relationship with us? And what incentive is there
> for them to follow through on that if they get
> another offer prior to our being ready for them to
> return for project #2?

Most of us would feel better with an agreement of some
kind. A one year letter of understanding would make
me feel better about committing to a client.

> I'm just not sure that we can realistically expect
> a freelancer to commit to us in this way when we
> can't offer them anything tangible or financially/
> legally binding in return.

The freelance mentality looks for the "freedom" afforded
by these types of assignment. We typically shun long
term corporate commitment of the employment kind.

> Am I just being naive? Do contract tech writers
> get anything out of arrangements like the one he
> suggests? What about working "on retainer"? How
> often is that done?

This is an interesting idea. It would help to raise the
level of commitment on both sides, thereby helping to
insure success.

> *Is* it realistic to hope that a contractor who does
> one job for us for 8 or 9 weeks will be available for
> another 8 or 9 weeks 4 months down the road from the
> end of the first project?

Yes, it is realistic. That's the way our business works.