Re: LabVIEW, anyone?

Subject: Re: LabVIEW, anyone?
From: "Dana Worley" <dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 10:10:13 -0600

Jonathan Stoppi wrote:

> Anyone had any experience with LabVIEW?

> How valuable would a moderate expertise in its use (at
> design/simulation level) be in one's resume, do you think?

LabView is not a tool that a traditional tech writer would use. If you
are looking for a "pure" Technical Writing job, I don't think that
LabView would help on your resume (other than the fact that a
potential employer might be impressed that you've been able to
master such a package -- if they even had any idea what it is...).

LabView software is typically used for data display, data analysis,
and control of data acquisition systems. It is used extensively in
SCADA applications. I have used a product similar to LabView, but
not in a tech writing capacity. I was using the product to test an
OPC client that we were developing (software test is one of my
many hats). I suppose if you worked for a company that made data
acquisition & control systems, there might be a use for that
knowledge there.

Dana W.