Re: Usage of second person or third person when writing procedures

Subject: Re: Usage of second person or third person when writing procedures
From: TDean -at- envirosys -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 14:15:35 -0400

>In chapter introductions and
>sections that are dedicated to the purpose of a function (i.e., screen,
>field, or report), my employers feel more comfortable with passive voice.
>If we all had
>complete authority over our documents, we all would do things a bit
>differently, but that is another story altogether!!

What I'd try to find out in that case is why they prefer passive voice. Is
that really the issue, or is there something else about the tone that
they just don't know how to articulate? As Geoff Hart pointed out, even
in such sections, active voice is almost always going to yield cleaner,
clearer, more helpful results.

My 2 cents. . . .

Marie

Yes, I agree that active voice is always the best bet - I try to always
lobby for active voice. I actually have had instances where different types
of audiences such as managers and the higher-ups do not like active voice
in the introduction/purpose of the function. The users (some) feel like it
was condescending. However, the users that are on the lower end - the
clerks or the blue collar workers definitely prefer simple and short
sentences. This is a problem when you are writing for a wide-range of
audiences. Employers also feel uncomfortable if their customers that make
the decisions to buy the software are not appeased. I have found that it is
sometimes political!!

It could be the tone - I won't rule that out. However, the audiences I am
dealing range from high executives to hard hats. It would be ideal to use
active voice and implement all the fundamentals of technical writing, but I
do not have that authority. I can only lobby - pick my battles, loose
and/or win.

I thought I would put in my two cents to the person that asked for the
advice. But, I appreciate your input. :)

Tina Dean

=^.^=
*