RE: Working for a subcontractor

Subject: RE: Working for a subcontractor
From: "Hannah Bissell" <to -dot- hannah -at- usa -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 10:17:03 -0400

> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to hear other people's opinions about working for a
> subcontractor.
> I have just a couple of months' experience and it's already
> driving me mad!
> Are there any other people out there who perhaps feel the same
> way...?In my
> experience it is much better for the technical writer to work in
> a company.
> That is, if you have a choice...

My opinion is that it's the best thing I ever did. I found an excellent
contracting company and it's never been better. I get decent money,
excellent benefits, they promote career training (paid time for classes,
they pay for the classes - and not just those that specifically relate to my
job, could be anything). Most of our contracts are as a team (there are four
of us). We do things the four of us. Yeah, we're segregated from regular
employees and not invited to their little office parties, but we do our own
thing. All of the various contractors at all the various locations all get
together every couple of months for corporate unity. I've seen more loyalty,
dedication, and company support here than any full-hire position. And I like
that I get exposure to a wide variety of projects by switching contracts we
hold while still working for the same corporation. Yes,.....there are other
obstacles, dealing with the hiring company's politics and that sort of
thing, but you have those everywhere and unlike contracting, it never ends.

But perhaps you are not working for a contracting company but are an
independant contractor. I don't know, it just sounds like perhaps you fell
into a bad company.

hannah