RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question - Overpaid!

Subject: RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question - Overpaid!
From: sguttman -at- semantix -dot- com (Susan Guttman)
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 10:46:04 -0400

Bah, no anonymity for me - I tell my bosses every day that they pay me way
too much to sit on my keister. They don't seem to mind... :D (Hey Martin,
hey Arkady! ;)

Being newish to techwriting, I used the STC salary survey to find out how
much someone with my level of experience should be making. For my first job,
I stuck to those figures; then, when interviewing for my second job, I
pulled out a pair of brass cojones and asked for the next level up - and I
got it. Self-confidence can do wonders in an interview.
Then, on top of an already ridiculous salary, I got a ridiculous raise at my
first review.

My company obviously thinks I'm worth it, so I don't feel terribly guilty -
but, by the STC survey, I'm making a chunk more than anyone else in my
experience range, hence I can say I'm overpaid.
C'est tout!

-Bill S.
"I believe in getting into hot water; it keeps you clean."
- G. K. Chesterton

---------------------------
Dan Hall said, and I quote:

HMMMM.

I think that anyone who believes that they're overpaid
is going to answer the poll, but not post to the list. We
all know there are managers lurking out there. (You hear
that, Linda? I know you're listening!)

Anyway, I'm wondering if those who consider themselves
"overcompensated" wound up at their current salary through
negotiation, or the recent shortage of competent employees,
or through some other means? Did they mislead their
current employer about skills/experience/training? Did they
just accept a high offer?

How did this happen? How can I make it happen for me? :)

Anonymous responses, anyone? Anyone...