RE: Baiting for the single source rant

Subject: RE: Baiting for the single source rant
From: Darren Barefoot <Darren -dot- Barefoot -at- capeclear -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 16:44:49 +0100

I'm with Mr. Maxey on this one. At my last job, we had an 1100 topic help
system. Months earlier we had decided to dispense with our printed manuals
and, so, the FrameMaker files moldered. Near the release, product management
changed its mind and decided we needed a printable PDF. Instead of trying to
resurrect the way-out-of-date FrameMaker files, we decided to use RoboHelp
to generate printed docs which we eventually converted into a PDF. It took
some serious setting up and fiddling with, but we devised a workable
solution that has saved many hours over the past 18 months. It was the best
solution at the time and still is, in terms of generating a help system and
printable PDF from the same source.

In fact, speaking of a template nobody wanted, I recently posted an article
to my Web site that referred to some macros used in this single-sourcing
process. Several people have contacted me about them, so it would seem
there's at least some interest in these processes. DB.