RE: Baiting for the single source rant

Subject: RE: Baiting for the single source rant
From: Meg Halter <aiki4us -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 15:14:27 -0700 (PDT)

A different take on single sourcing: We have an application that
will be sent out with different options to several clients. At
present, the plan is to make a different version of the manual
for each permutation of options we send out. Since the
differences will be limited to a few sections of the manual, it
makes sense to me to single source the manual. This will avoid
the problem of the different versions getting out of synch.
Because the medium is the same (basically paper), the problem of
style clashes across media doesn't apply.

To avoid getting stuck in the quicksand situation Andrew
mentions, I'm going to do a little test case a few pages long
using Word (the mandated WP tool) and the demo of AuthorIT.
Depending on my misery/happiness index at the end of the test,
we will decide how to proceed.

-- Meg

http://im.yahoo.com