Self vs. formal education

Subject: Self vs. formal education
From: Meg Halter <aiki4us -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 16:41:47 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Whirlers --

Here's a question in the ever-recurring education discussions.

What are your thoughts on the relative merits of self education
vs. formal education in a resume? The context is that I already
have a BS and MS in aerospace engineering. I want my resume to
show that I can, indeed, write. Now, my portfolio should
demonstrate that, but my resume has to get me to the point where
people will want to see the portfolio.

I've taken some classes pertaining to tech communication through
UCLA's online learning and I could take a bunch more classes
(some of which don't seem all that useful) to earn an official,
fancy-dancy certificate in Technical Communication. I've also
been self educating by reading books and by setting up questions
that I research. The questions are pretty limited such as "How
do Word styles and templates work?" or "How does AuthorIT work?"
or "What are the different variants of single sourcing?" (The
recent threads have sure folded into this one nicely).

I'm debating whether to go for the certificate or to just
continue with my home-grown little program. Can't do both
because of lack of time and energy.

Thoughts?

-- Meg

http://im.yahoo.com