Re: Self vs. formal education

Subject: Re: Self vs. formal education
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 06:18:03 -0600

Sounds like you have PLENTY of education already! I mean, am I wrong, or
aren't you basically a "rocket scientist"? :)

With your level of education, any certification seems superfluous to me.
The number of "officially certified/degreed" tech writers is still small.
Remember, this is a field that is FILLED with career-changers - virtually
all of us used to be something else.

I've gathered from previous posts that you are already active in the tech
writing field. That should validate you as a writer on your resume. But
you should mention the classes you've taken that are specific to
tech-writing. Even classes that are not taken as part of a degree-oriented
program have value, and also show your initiative, so by all means list
them!

I'm not certified (though some consider me certifiable), but I took a
series of college courses at two different colleges to ramp up my skills.
To include them on my resume, I listed the schools and dates, and then
wrote something like this: "Pursued a career-targeted curriculum,
specializing in technical writing, online technologies, HTML, Web design,
programming, and applications software." The first interview I had, the
manager was impressed that I had gone out specifically to acquire the
skillset needed for this field - it set me apart from all the journalism
majors who were applying for the job.

Hope this helps - good luck!

- Keith Cronin

A person needs only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and
it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use duct tape.