Re: Article: The e-book era is here (despite reports to the contrary) ?

Subject: Re: Article: The e-book era is here (despite reports to the contrary) ?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 11:49:50 -0700

Hart, Geoff wrote:

What's truly surprises me is that nobody's yet figured out a reasonable
model for converting a paperback novel into an eBook and making money at it.
The way I see it, there are a few essential ingredients:

I suggest that there may be another requirement. For a new technology to replace an existing one, it has to offer something that the existing one doesn't. Usually, that means that it has to be cheaper or better in some fundamental way.

So far, ebooks don't meet that criterion. Aside from larger reference works, they're not cheaper than traditional books. About the only things they do better is search and bookmark, which are of little use with fiction and magazines. In short, the ebook has definite advantages for large reference works, but little to challenge the traditional book overall.

Don't forget, too, that the book-buying public is relatively small. The last I heard, only about 3% of Americans buy books regularly, and only about 12% of Canadians. That's a very small market niche, and it may not be large enough for two competing media.

"Writing is an occupation in which you have to keep proving your talent to those who have none."
- Jules Renard

A landmark hotel, one of America's most beautiful cities, and three and a half days of immersion in the state of the art: