RE: reminisce (was: The e-book era is here)

Subject: RE: reminisce (was: The e-book era is here)
From: david -dot- locke -at- amd -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 17:00:07 -0500

We have that here were I work. But, it is a departmental solution. The
system is provided by the TW IT people rather than corporate.

The hard thing about wireless data service, what you need in addition to the
cards, is that it is hard to find the people providing it and selling it. I
tried to get this last year when I still lived in Houston, but it was a big
secret. GTE was the regional provider for it. It is a separate business from
the cell phone business. In fact, it competes with cell phones, because of
lower monthly rates rather than by-the-minute rates. I had to call ATT to
get the number of the GTE rep. Then, the rep wouldn't do business
face-to-face and wanted me to fax signatures and such. When he didn't get
the message that my fax goes to my computer, I decided not to do business
with the guy.

I have seen that wireless data service is now the rage, but most of the
local info is about connecting your cell phone to your computer. Don't do
that. Make the effort to track down the local wireless data service. You
will save a bundle of money.

A buddy of mine uses Internet phone to bring his calls to his computer,
eliminating cell phone use. He was one of the first people that I knew with
an WAN card.

If you travel to other countries, and intend to stay connected, you will
need a WAN card that supports GSM. GSM is available in almost every other
country except the U.S.

David Locke